Friday 28 June 2013

Musings, Wonderings and Random Thoughts



What I share in this post are musings, thoughts and introspection. I enjoy poetry and if i find a poem I like I will share it.
This is a work in progress and will be added to as I see fit.
~~~~~~~~

Sometimes a poem expresses the beauty and wonderment in life. Other times it purges the innermost pain the writer is experiencing. Memories, thoughts, experiences, love, happiness, pain, caring- so many things that can be expressed in a poem.


~~~~~~~~
Friendship
What is a true friend? A true friend says what they think their friend needs to hear even when they know that their friend may get angry. A true friend doesn't leave because they are afraid to be with you. A true friend doesn't leave when the fun stops and things get uncomfortable These are just of few of the values that real friends hold dear. In short, A true friend recognizes the value of the friendship and holds it sacred
*********

The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each others life.
Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof.
Bach, R. - Illusions
                      ,       ********** 

Family isn't always blood, it's the people in your life who want you in theirs; the ones who accept you for who you are. The ones who would do anything to see you smile and who love you no matter what.
   

  
Throughout life I have encountered hundreds of people whom I've had friendships with. 

Out of the hundreds I can count on one hand the truest deepest friendships I have are those that I can always count on and they can always count on me. There is a mutual unspoken agreement  that each has your back covered no matter what. Its the person you can have a laugh about the funny things in life, you have a common humour, giggle about silly things, wear a funny hat, you can hangout together chatting about all manner of topics, go shopping together, share recipes, secrets, discuss the deeper things that you cant discuss with anyone else. Its that one person you can cry on their shoulder, ask their opinion, get an objective perspective. Many qualities are necessary for a good friendship, including honesty, trustworthiness, loyalty and unconditional acceptance. Having a special friend is like gold. I value those few close friends I have like precious diamonds.




        ~~~~~~~~~~~~


¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥


On judging others

                                    
Judging another without all the facts is a form of bullying.  It is a violation of another human being. It can have dire and serious consequences. With judgments comes assumptions, innuendos, self righteousness and false attacks based on what the person judging believes rather than what the reality is. One of the things that occurs with judgments is that it gathers momentum like the snowball affect. Once it starts rolling the judgements get bigger. Like a small ember in a fire- when fanned it turns into a raging fire and the impact on the person being judged is devastating. The judgement of the person making them says more about them than the person they are judging.


It is one thing to state factual known information or ones reality but quite another to make an assumption or comment based on what you think or believe is reality. When you are busy judging another you are showing a lack of love, kindness or compassion because you really don't know what is truly going on until you have actually walked in the shoes of the person you are judging. You have no right to judge another because we have no idea of the depth of their situation. The only judgements you  can make are to decide what action you will take for your higher good or for a person who is incapable of making decisions.

I love the acronym:
T-  Is it thoughtful?
H - Is it honest?
I  -  Is it intelligent?
N - Is it necessary?
K-  Is it kind?





Matthew 7:1-5                    


 
   Because those who judge others believe themselves to be faultless, it is inevitable that when they are in conflict with the world they will invariably perceive it is because the world is at fault. Since they deny their own faults, they  perceive others as having fault but not themselves. They project their own judgments to the world. They attack others instead of facing their own failures and faults. They are in effect falling prey to victimhood.
      
Continually making judgements about others without any good reason is a form of gossip.
No one has the right to do wrong even if wrong has been done to them- Mans Search for Meaning- Viktor Frankl
**********

¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥¥


 Poems

I love this poem.
IF.....


IF you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream - and not make dreams your master;
If you can think - and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools: If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
' Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch,
if neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipliing


 
 ***********

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


MISSY 

Wondering...........
I wonder if animals have feelings and emotions like humans?

On the 10th July, 2013, my darling cat Missy passed away. Missy was a gift to me and I absolutely loved her to bits. She was given to me at a time when I was going through some pretty rough times and needed a little companion.

 She's been through a lot with me and has been a constant in my life. Through thick and thin, good times and bad. But sadly we usually outlive our fur baby's. Missy was 9 years old. Her kidneys began to fail her and she got really sick so I had to have her put down. I was so sad. Seemed so unfair that she died at 9. I really thought she would have lasted a bit longer than that but it was not meant to be.

Missy 2004- 10th July 2013 R.I.P my darling baby.

What Id like to know is- do cats feel sad, happy. Do they experience emotions? Well do any animals experience emotions for that matter? I have to say, I believe they do.

 In my household there are two cats- well only one now. Maggie and Missy are both Ragdoll cats. This particular breed is known for their wonderful companionship. 
Due to the nature of her Rag-doll breed she was a very loyal companion. Whenever I would go away, she would always be at the door waiting to greet me when I arrived home. I could not go anywhere in the house without my little shadow. If I took a shower or a bath, she would make herself comfortable on my dressing gown on the floor until I had finished. If I went to the bathroom, she would sit outside the door waiting.  Coming home was always a special time because I could always guarantee I would have a welcoming committee.
Missy would spend very little time away from my side . Whenever I went outside she would follow me. If I sat down to watch TV she would be right next to me on the couch and come bedtime, she would toddle behind me to bed. I taught her to scratch her scratching pole on command and she appeared to know what I said to her. In short she was a very faithful loving companion. She was a cat version of a dog.  She even enjoyed going for a ride in the car from time to time. She would become upset whenever I left her. One day I went outside to hang out my washing. My Mum was staying with us at the time. When I came back inside again my Mum said how much racket Missy had made when she couldn't follow me outside. Such was her loyalty and desire to be with me.

She lived a good part of her life in the country. 

Not long after I got her she disappeared. I was sick with worry as she had always been close by. It was not like her at all. My husband at the time decided in his wisdom to go walking in the fields that surrounded our home. It was about a kilometre away we could hear her loud meowing so we walked quickly toward the sound. We eventually found her in a thicket of blackberry. I was so relieved I cried.

She didn't really disappear again although one morning I was surprised to find she hadn't slept on the bed all night. I arose and went looking for her and she had climbed a very tall tree outside our bedroom window and had become stuck. My worry was such that I arose at 5am that morning and upon calling her name she replied back with a plaintiff meow.  I heard her calling from above and looked up to see she was clinging  with fear onto the trunk of the very tall Matsudana Willow outside our bedroom window. Still in my dressing gown I got a ladder  I called out to my husband to help get her down. He awoke groggily and came downstairs to rescue her. That was one of her adventures up a tree.

The day I brought Missy back from the vets in her "coffin" I laid her in state on the couch in her favourite sleeping place.
Maggie came to pay her respects and I'm certain she was upset because all of the next day after we buried her she was very quiet, slept all day and was certainly not her usual spritely self.




Maggie pays her last respects to her little friend Missy 



***********

Grieving.................

 

As you can imagine I was sad to lose my darling companion but something really strange has occurred to me. I cried when I picked her up from the vet after she had been euthanized. I cried a little the next day after I buried her. But weirdly it hasn't impacted me as I thought it would. I wasn't overwhelmed or racked with grief as I imagined I would be. I slept well the night after I buried her and I haven't cried since. Its as if she's still around yet I know she's not. Last night I pulled out her little silver diamanté studded collar with the little pink heart shape disk with her name written in a beautiful elegant font. I held it in my hand and was sad for a brief moment and then I wasn't. All of this has been a bit of a puzzle. How come I'm not enveloped in grief? How come I don't look at her usual place on the couch and feel upset because she's not there? I adored her. Why do I not awake saddened because she's not on the end of my bed? Its been quite puzzling to me really.

 I have a theory. I know I'm not a cold hearted person that didn't care for her. I've been a cat lover all my life. She was an insightful, thoughtful, loving gift to me after a significant trauma to me in 2003 where I suffered Post Traumatic Stress disorder. As a gift to me- she was the catalyst for helping me get through one of the very sad times in my life. 

 My theory - and it was confirmed by a friend who also studied psychology- that its because I have experienced much greater pain than losing my beloved fur baby. The pain of losing her was not as great as the pain and suffering I had at other significant losses and trauma in my life. In fact I've had a raft of losses in my life and now its at the point I'm almost numb to pain. Its as if I have reached a threshold of heartache and pain and my mind and body cannot take anymore so it has switched off.........The human psyche is masterful in its protection of human suffering. Its no wonder children who were sexually abused or suffered some other significant trauma somehow manage to relegate their suffering and pain to the dungeons of their mind. I can truly appreciate another who has experience trauma and has appeared to cope just because of this process.

~~~~~~~~~****~~~~~~~~






  



.






No comments:

Post a Comment